Slightly modified vegan nut loaf to avoid tomatoes. Nut loaf recipe can be also be used to make burger patties, pan fried or baked, or can be stuffed into puff pastry for a puff pastry loaf or small hand pies.
Requires food processor to grind up various ingredients.
1 1/4 cups (180 g) nuts (raw or roasted cashews, raw walnuts, raw pecans)
1/4 cup (33.5 g) sunflower seeds (or more cashews)
2 tsp oil (or 1/4 cup broth)
1 cup (160 g) chopped onion
4 cloves of garlic chopped
1 cup (96 g) chopped mushrooms (shitake or hen of the wood)
1 cup (140 g) cubed butternut squash
1 tsp each thyme, sage, rosemary, oregano
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg
1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
2 eggs (or 2 flax eggs for vegan)
2/3 cup (81 g) breadcrumbs
1/4 cup roasted red peppers
1.5 tbsp soy sauce/tamari (or use 1/4 tsp salt + 1 tbsp broth for soyfree)
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toast the raw nuts and sunflower seeds in the oven at 325 deg F (160 C) for 5 mins.
- Food processor: pulse nuts and seeds to a somewhat coarse meal
- In skillet over medium heat for 2 mins
- oil or broth.
- onion, garlic and a pinch of salt
- Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt and cook until some golden edges. (3-4 mins)
- Add butternut squash and mix in. Add a splash of water, cover and cook until the squash is tender.
- Mash and transfer to a bowl.
- Add in the spices, salt and mix in.
- Add the chopped nuts and seeds, soy sauce, eggs, breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Taste and adjust salt, herbs and flavor. ** The flavor will get more pronounced on baking. If the mixture is too wet, add a tbsp or so flour. You want it to be just slightly sticky. If too dry or crumbly, add a splash of broth. If you like sweeter, profile, add a tbsp of tomato paste or some chopped dried fruit such as dried cranberries or apricots.
- Transfer to a parchment lined pan. (I used lightly oiled cookie sheet.) Lightly press to shape. Do not pack too much.
- Bake for 25 to 30 mins.
1. Blend roasted red peppers into a smooth paste
2. Mix the rest of ingredients in a sauce pan over low heat for 15-20 minutes.
3. Taste and adjust as needed.
Take the loaf out of the oven. Spread the glaze over the loaf and then bake again for 20 to 30 mins. Let cool for 15 mins before removing from the pan. Then cool completely before slicing. Serve with gravy or cranberry sauce or both!